Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pentax 645N

Two weeks ago, I mentioned that I had two new cameras, and I told you all about one of them. The second new one is a Pentax 645N that I bought with my own money.

I wanted a professional-grade camera, and this fit the bill.

I love Pentax. I've loved Pentax products since I was a kid. I just didn't know it, yet.

My first SLR was that Vivitar V2000 that I still use - it's a Pentax K1000 clone, and has a standard K-mount body.

My first DSLR is a Pentax K10D.

Since then, I've collected numerous lenses which are compatible back-and-forth with the two cameras, which is (let me tell you) hugely helpful.  Most of the lenses are Pentax branded, and the lenses I prefer using are all Pentax-branded.

So when it came time to buy a medium-format camera, it was an easy choice. I wanted a Pentax.

I did my homework, and narrowed it down to the 645 series - there is a 645, a 645N and a 645NII.  A bit more homework found me a chart comparing the three.  The feature I most wanted was the setting print on the negatives, so that eliminated the 645 right away.

I know. It's a weird feature to be important, but ... well ... you've seen what I shoot, right?

Looking at the N and NII models, the differences were minor enough that I didn't feel like paying the extra $200 or so for the NII.  So I ordered a (used) 645N from Glazer's in Seattle.  They even included batteries, which I thought was going the extra miles.

Then I ordered a lens from KEH.  It arrived faster than expected, and I loaded the film and went to town.

I ... I really like this camera.  Pushing the shutter gives a beefyish *chunkwhirrr* It feels like I'm taking an important picture.

I shot two rolls before sending them in for processing - In all honest, I should have sent the first roll in right away so I could tell if something was wrong somewhere. But I was excited.

I'm very glad everything turned out.

Pentax 645N



Pentax 645N


I'll share more pics from this camera in coming weeks and months.  I clearly have a long ways to go with it, but I'm really liking some of my early results.

No comments:

Post a Comment