Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What A Difference A Crop Makes

This is a beautiful shot.

Jenn & Brad's Wedding


It seems very nicely composed, and clearly tells part of a story. He's a hair blurry, which shows that he's not the focal point, here - she's in very sharp focus, making it clear that it's her story.  The foreground lighting is perfect, here, too. To be honest, the only thing I dislike about this photo is the presence of people in the background.  I've considered darkening the background a bit further to hide the other people and make the dancers stand out a bit better.

It's also something I salvaged from a ... less-good shot.

Let's see if I can get that "break" thing right, so you can see the original shot.


Jenn & Brad's Wedding


It's ... it's not nearly as good. The dancers are still clearly the focal point, but there is a bunch of distraction in the photo. More people, more stuff ... it's just not great. It's not a terrible photo, but it's also clearly an amateur shot.

All I did was crop the original image to get the effect I wanted. This image, more than any I have shot in the 20+ years I've been a hobbyist, taught me the importance of an effective crop.

And cropping is a tremendously old-school trick, too. I cropped images when developing my own photos twenty years ago.  A good crop puts the focus where you want it and removes distracting elements. And it's been one of the hardest things for me to learn.

I'll get it someday. Meanwhile, I'll save this one as a reminder that I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment