Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Mystery

The first day I brought a film camera into work, I shot a full roll of film.  One of my co-workers is young.  Very young. I had to explain the concept of film to her.

In fact, as soon as I snapped this shot, she looked at me, and asked, "Did it turn out?"

Now, admittedly, it'd been a while since I shot film.  Long enough, in fact, that I would snap the pic and then look at the back of my camera. Long enough that the film it contained was expired. Long expired.

So it's possible that it wouldn't have turned out.  Very possible, in fact.

That gamble - "I may have just wasted that shutter click," - is part of what makes shooting film so much fun.

I do enjoy expired film, because it usually works just fine, but once in a while you get something unique or magical that you couldn't replicate on your own, no matter what software you used.

Rolls 3&4


This is far from my best shot, but I do like how it turned out.

Every shot on that roll was a mystery - more than the usual, "Will it turn out?"

What sparked the need for this blog, by the way, was the development of my first two shots from what we call "the big camera."  The Graflex.

I was pretty sure the photos wouldn't turn out, but I had to try.

I'll tell you about those next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment