Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Shooting With The Big Camera

A few months ago, now, my wife and I (and her best friend, Erin) went to a convention. This happens pretty regularly, actually. But this convention was - for me - pretty special. Because we were going to break out the big camera. If you've been reading since the beginning, you'll know that this refers to a Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic camera which was given to me by a customer. And the film was a gift from a co-worker whose father had been a photographer.

Erin is a bit of a photography nut, too, so we both geeked out for a bit before loading the film. It took us about half an hour to load the film. Because we were totally new at it, and we were loading all of the film holders I have.

Once the film was loaded, we realized we'd need to shoot out a window that didn't open.  And, as it was night, it would have to be a relatively long exposure. So we'd need stability.

In the room, there was a small end table.  But it wasn't tall enough to just set the camera on, so we brought out the camera box as well - it was just tall enough to work.

Then I focused as best I could, and Erin held a sweatshirt over the camera as a lens hood to avoid glare from the window.  My wife, meanwhile, stood there and laughed at us (with good reason).

We too two shots, and then went and unloaded film from the camera and boxed it in a light-tight box.

The next day, while Stephanie enjoyed the convention, Erin and I headed to Blue Moon Camera to pick up film for the Komaflex and see about having the film for the Big Camera processed.

We ended up finding a new strap for the Komaflex (which it needed), and we grabbed film for it, and we dropped off the 4x5 sheet film for processing.

The next afternoon, we took another few shots with the big camera. Those haven't been processed, yet, but the  shots from that first night have.

They were too dark, otherwise I'd be showing them off, here.

Don't worry - I'm sure I'll have photos to show in the not too-distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment